With just a few weeks remaining before the opening of the January transfer window, there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Al-Nassr firm up Firmino interest
With Cristiano Ronaldo having denied reports of transfer talks with Al-Nassr, the Daily Mirror says that the Saudi Arabian club are turning their attentions to Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino.
Firmino is out of contract in the summer and, while Liverpool are keen to keep him beyond his current deal, Al-Nassr are hoping to land a coup by negotiating a pre-contract agreement in January.
The Brazil international has been a major player for Liverpool since arriving on Merseyside 7½ years ago, but the recent arrivals of Luis Diaz, Diogo Jota and Darwin Nunez have impacted his playing time.
The 31-year-old has scored seven goals in 13 league appearances this season, as well as two goals in the Champions League and eight assists in all competitions. He may feel he has more to offer at the highest level, but a bumper payday could be tempting.
– World Cup 2022: News and features | Schedule
– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga and more (US)
09.19 GMT: Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United have submitted offers defender Josko Gvardiol, reports Foot Mercato, while Bayern Munich could also enter the race.
Gvardiol, 20, is starring for Croatia at the World Cup and his performances in Qatar have led to huge interest from top clubs across Europe.
He joined RB Leipzig from Dinamo Zagreb for €19m 18 months ago and his stock has quickly risen in the Bundesliga.
The report says that City’s offer is highest so far, upwards of €100m including bonuses and includes a percentage of any future transfer fee. Liverpool and PSG have so far shown no interest.
08.30 GMT: The Daily Mirror reports that Paris Saint-Germain are willing to offer Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford a package that could be worth up to £850,000 a week to persuade him to move to France.
Rashford has been a long-term target for PSG, and their interest has been reignited by the 25-year-old’s return to form this season.
“He is another player that is really amazing and for free, to have Rashford for free, every club would run after him, definitely,” PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi said last week.
The England international is out of contract at the end of the season, though United have an option to extend by 12 months which they are almost certain to trigger. So while Rashford is able to enter precontract talks with foreign clubs as of Jan. 1, it’s more likely PSG would have to pay a fee after United put an extra year on his agreement.
Erik ten Hag this weekend confirmed United’s intention to activate the options on Rashford and defender Diogo Dalot, and also discuss fresh deals.
“We are talking to them to extend contracts, but we have control because we have an option on all the players and we will exercise those options,” Ten Hag said.
Bayern Munich are also said to be watching Rashford’s situation.
– Bayern Munich are considering a move for Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Keylor Navas now that Manuel Neuer has been ruled out for the season. That’s according to Footmercato, which believes Bayern aren’t prepared to place their faith for the remainder of the campaign in backup keepers Sven Ulreich (34) and youngster Johannes Schenk (19). Neuer fractured his leg skiing, and now Bayern are in panic mode trying to find a replacement.
– AC Milan and Internazionale are both tracking Fulham left-back and United States international Antonee Robinson, according to The Sun. Robinson, 25, impressed for USA at the World Cup, with his speed in particular suggesting he could be an exciting addition at both ends of the pitch. Inter are believed to have been in Qatar to watch Robinson while Milan, who tried to sign him three years ago, are back on the trail.
– Sport says Barcelona boss Xavi Hernandez is putting pressure on club president Joan Laporta to bid for Real Sociedad star Martin Zubimendi. The Spanish outlet reports that while Barca are also committed to adding Chelsea‘s N’Golo Kante (31) to their squad, Zubimendi is the preferred longer-term replacement for the ageing Sergio Busquets, which is why Xavi and sporting director Jordi Cruyff are so eager for Laporta to push for the 23-year-old.
– Erik ten Hag has admitted that Manchester United will do everything they can to replace Ronaldo in January, with the Daily Mail suggesting that the club are keen to swoop for Benfica star Goncalo Ramos as well as Netherlands flyer Cody Gakpo. United terminated Ronaldo’s contract last month, but that leaves a big hole in the attack. United’s interest in PSV Eindhoven‘s in-form 23-year-old Gakpo is clear, but they’re also said to be monitoring 21-year-old Ramos, who shot to the forefront with Portugal after scoring a hat trick in their 6-1 win over Switzerland.